Thursday, July 21, 2011

'Design Star' Episode 2 Review



Okay, so I sort of accidentally lied last week, since I forgot that we're moving into our new house this week. So, we have not had TV or internet all week, but I was able to go back to our old house and catch me some Design Star. Anyways, onto the review.


(All of these pictures are from Emily Henderson's style blog)


Let's start with my favorite person: Kellie

Kellie's room

While she may not be the best designer, I love her personality and if you have been following my blog for a little while (all 3 posts of it) you of course know that I love her use of aqua. I liked her concept of the footprints and the spilling paint, but the footprints wouldn't be obvious to the average person, and a room should make sense to everyone. Overall, it's a good room. However, I am not a fan of all of the white. Her hosting is pretty good, she just needs to get more confident.


Bret's room

I really didn't get this one. Weird looking bombs? Christmas colors? Really, Bret? It looks good for maybe my local design magazine, but it doesn't really show me his personality at all. And like the guest judge said (Sorry, I don't know his name. I know, it's sad.), it looks like Martha Stewart created the edgiest thing she could possible think of, and ended with..... this.

Cathy's room

I don't see why the judges hated this one so much. She thought outside of the box, it was a very different idea, but her camera challenge is probably what put her in the bottom three. Since her room wasn't a total wreck (it wasn't beautiful, but not necessarily bottom 3 worthy), that's the only thing I can think of that the judges saw. She always says that she has an advantage from being a newscaster, but I think that it's a disadvantage since she's so used to not having a personality, being way over-hosty, and always talking about how she takes inspiration from other countries. We get it, you like to brag about where you've been in your designs! However, just because I've been to Kentucky doesn't mean I bring it up in every sentence that I speak.

Doug's room

I'll agree with the judges on this one, it was more a tribute to the artist than showing Doug's personality. I mean, I feel like I'm stuck in a world with only peach, black, and white. That annoys me. I like the idea with the plates, but they're all crooked and that erks me since I'm all OCD and stuff. (Not really, but I'm definitely a perfectionist)

J's room
 Okay, this is actually not the worst room at all. (I'm lookin' at you, Meg) But, she was the worst host by far. She had no confidence, went off-topic, went over-time, and is just plain painful to watch. I was afraid that she would end up finishing about fifth or sixth as one of those people who would tell the judges that she would fix everything they told her to, but ends up the same as she was when she started the competition. All in all, I'm relieved that she's gone.

Karl's room
I really like Karl's personality, but he does seem like he's trying a little too hard to be the guy that everybody loves. His room was a great concept, but the first dining room chair irritated me since the paint on it didn't match the floor. It was very simple, but the paint scheme made it seem almost full. The light fixture was genius (it doesn't look like a fifth-grade art project and at least it wasn't a bowl!) and I also really like the way he used the oranges to look sort of like soil for the plants.

Kevin's room
 It was a good idea, but the wall of butcher paper doesn't make up for the fact that the room is otherwise very empty. Sure the mops for rugs were good, but that can't carry a room. It also might have to do with the fact that I'm not a huge fan of any of his color choices so far (flashback to tangerine...) but it does go pretty good with the brown paper, just not what I would have chosen. The artwork on the walls is fine, but nothing special.

Leslie's room
 Surprise, surprise, I love the color. The artwork is pretty good and I love the writing on the wall. However, the couch looks terrible and doesn't match the room in the slightest. Also, it really others me that the table isn't centered on the couch. She seems like she could get bossy (hi, Cathy) or just end up as the mom of the group who isn't that great but no one would want to send her home. Her hosting ability is a little bit above average compared to everyone else, so she could use that to get through the next few challenges.

Mark's room
 My absolute hands-down favorite host, Mark's room is the possibly the boldest (other than Tyler's) and definitely one of the coolest looking. The airplane/futon was very creative, and I think that the bowls on the floor add some much-needed depth to the room. As for hosting, he is easily the best and feels very genuine. He to me is the more natural version of Karl.

Meg's room
More peach. Seriously? Even though her table did fall down, that definitely wasn't the downfall of her room (get it, downfall? I know, it's cheesy) the peach everything with the dull green tree thing is what made the room a mess for me. The couch looked bad, the placement of furniture was awkward, and I also hate her hosting since she talks like the Target Lady from Saturday Night Live.


Tyler's room
His water bottle seat confused me at first, but it definitely made the room. I loved the combination of the green and gray, and for some reason I liked the water bottle to the right that's spilling paint on the floor. I usually hate when things interrupt a color or anything like that, but this time I liked it. The lamps weren't great, but since they practically blend in it really doesn't matter.


Overall, I loved Tyler's, Kellie's, and Mark's. They would definitely be my top 3. Mark should win and Kellie should get 2nd. From now on, I will keep a list of how I think the competitors should finish over to the right of the blog. I will update it every week with my revised picks, and of course, who actually went home.


Well, that's my review! Please comment and tell me what you thought of the episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment