Monday, July 25, 2011

'Design Star' Episode 3 Review



Homeowners challenges. Are they stressful? Yes. Are they practical? Yes. Are they fun to watch? Yes. Were they successful? Sort of.


So tonight our little HGTV wannabe designers had their first challenge where they had to please somebody other than the judges. How did it go? Well, it depends on which team you're speaking of.


(Photos courtesy of HGTV.com)


Kellie, Leslie, and Kevin's bonus room
 Let's start off on a high note: Kellie, Leslie, and Kevin. They designed a kid's room in a basement and ended up all being safe, while Kellie was in the top portion of competitors, and Kevin won it all.

Kevin's amazing built-in shelves

I loved how fun there room was, and I agree with the judges in that it does feel like one person designed the whole space, not three. I absolutely loved Kevin's navy blue shelves, I definitely wish I had enough time and talent to do that in my own room. Kellie's island was a good idea, nothing I haven't seen before, but unlike what I have previously seen (Dear Genevieve, no offense, I love the show), it doesn't look like "Oh, there was obviously structural beams that she was trying to cover". Leslie was boring and trying too hard to get attention as usual (push-ups, week one, I know you remember), so I doubt the whole "Mom" thing is gonna work out for her after all.


Doug and Mark's "adult space/dancing room"
Doug's terrible furniture choice

Now to a low note, Mark and Doug's room was pretty horrible. But Doug himself admitted it: Doug picked out all of the horrible furniture, made the layout, and painted that poor, innocent wall "organ meat peach". I really liked Mark's wood wall, and the floor was great, like Vern pointed out. There was absolutely no reason to put Mark in the bottom with Doug, as Mark will rightfully hang on for the next several weeks simply because his hosting skills are far greater then everyone else's.

Cathy, Karl, and Bret's in-law suite
I'll admit, Karl's mosaic backsplash did look good
Another low point of the show was Cathy, Bret, and Karl's "we specifically chose the most uncomfortable furniture we could find" in-law suite. I hated the four chairs placed in a circle, I mean how many friends does this grandma plan on having over? I thought that it was especially ridiculous that Cathy got by without doing barely anything except one coffee table, and am I the only one who thinks that Karl is going through a serious identity crisis? One week he's the good guy, then he's just a total knock-off of Mark, and this week he's a drama queen? Dude, settle down.

Meg and Tyler's amazing beach-inspired dining room
Lastly, Tyler and Meg's magazine-ready beach house dining room. I absolutely loved everything about, and didn't understand at all why anyone would want "personal items" cluttering up that beautiful space. Everyone wants a room to look just like a magazine, so why are they complaining? This challenge definitely put me and Meg on better terms, and you'll see that in effect to your right on my newly-updated "Who Should Go Home" list.


Well, that's what I thought, and place stay tuned throughout the week for more designs that I like!

No comments:

Post a Comment